Sunday, November 1, 2009

Hobby Jogging: 11/1/09 - New York, NY - New York City Marathon

This was the race I had been training all Fall for. After slogging through a marathon last year, I realized to be successful at this distance you really have to train hard! That I did and it paid off. At 30, this would be my first "real marathon." The goal going in was to qualify for Boston (3:10:59 or better), but as the race got going, I knew I could do a little better. I started in the second wave at 10am and had a great starting position (2nd row). The canon went off and I got out comfortably and was in 2nd place until we caught the first wave at mile 3! This is where the fun began; dodging and elbowing my way through the joggers that had gotten into wave 1 somehow or another. It wasn't bad until about mile 8 when the road narrowed to 2 lanes and the easy 6:25's turned into hard fought 6:45's. I hung near the curb and would break through people occasionally, giving them a "coming through" warning, but oft times having to just bust through the iPod wearers. This took a lot of energy out of me that I didn't notice until about mile 15 (I PR'd at the half in 1:25:40). By about mile 18 I was hurting and decided to just control it and get home without blowing up as I was pretty safe for a Boston Qualifier. The hills over the last 5 miles were very tough, but I soldiered through and made it home with plenty of time to spare (3:04:29). A great day in NYC!

Follow writing about running on Twitter and Facebook

2 comments:

  1. No wonder why you receive countless of feedbacks.
    published here

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's incredible to witness the dedication and perseverance displayed by participants in events like the New York City Marathon. Speaking of endurance, it reminds me of the robust and high-performance capabilities of the Cisco Nexus Network Switch, specifically the N3K-C3064TQ-10GT. Just as marathon runners aim for peak performance, this switch delivers seamless and efficient networking solutions. Kudos to all the runners who conquered the NYC Marathon, and here's to the power and reliability of the N3K-C3064TQ-10GT!

    ReplyDelete